Today I wanted to share the recipe for the vegetable torte that I found on Instagram. I was trying to be all fancy and come up with a cute background shot for the picture and THEN I dropped the torte. So the cracks that you see in the picture are from the fall, not the baking process. Before it fell, the torte looked perfect. Thankfully I was able to catch it before it fell facedown.
Of course I changed a few things in the recipe because I hate following directions, but I promise you it will be delicious. The recipe calls for 1-1/3 cups of crackers. I wasn’t in the mood to measure cracker crumbs, so instead I used about 2/3 bag of wheat thins. And as you can see from the picture, I got tired of crushing crackers, so if you don’t finely crush all the crackers, your crust will be fine.
When I went grocery shopping, I couldn’t find garlic and herb cream cheese, so I just used herbed cream cheese. Also, I don’t own a springform pan, so I just used a regular 9-inch cake pan. The only downside to using a cake pan is you aren’t able to remove the whole torte and display it as a whole. Also, I’m all about flavor, so I used garlic salt, pepper, italian seasoning and some Chipotle Seasoning by Flavor God. I added seasonings to the sautéed vegetables and to the cream cheese/egg mixture. So feel free to add whatever seasonings you like to the recipe.
- 1 1/3 cups finely crushed multi-grain crackers
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 5 small mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 container (8 oz) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- After you have crushed up the crackers, combine the cracker crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Press the butter crumbs into the bottom of a greased 9-inch spring form pan.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the cracker crust.
- Sauté the zucchini, mushrooms, onions and red pepper in the oil for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Spread the vegetable mixture over the cheese.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs into the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in bacon and pour over vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- If you are using a spring form pan, place the pan on a baking sheet and baked at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until the center is done. If you are not using a spring form pan, then you can just place the pan directly into the oven (no baking sheet needed).
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the torte and then remove the sides of the pan.