So this week is my birthday and today is actually my birthday. and although I don’t celebrate birthdays, I must say this is NOT a birthday I look forward to at all. I’m definitely not in the place in life I thought I would be and being a year closer to 40 is so not cool, IMO. But rather than dwell on that, I wanted to share with you guys the 36 life lessons I’ve learned in my 36 (eek!) years of life.
1. Prayer is essential and works miracles.This is number one for a reason.
2.Develop a good skin care regimen and invest in good skin care products. Even though I whine about my $30 facial moisturizer, it works well. I am lost without it.
3.The older you get, your circle will get smaller. And that’s okay. Quality over quantity.
4. Develop a good support network of people who will encourage you, motivate you, inspire you and just be there to give you a hug when needed.
5.. Find a way to travel often. It’s the best money spent, ever.
6. Invest in quality items. Like goods, a good mattress, staple clothing items, etc. Louis Vuitton bags, lol…
7. Appreciate the little things and don’t take the everyday “luxuries” for granted. Like the fact that you have a job that pays your bills, a warm place to lay your head at night or a fridge full of food.
8. Money doesn’t always buy happiness, but having it can bring you peace of mind. That’s a lie. Money can buy Chanel and that equals happiness. But having money shouldn’t be EVERYTHING in your life.
9. Life is better when you’re not broke. #noExplanationNeeded
10. Don’t take your health for granted. Take care of your body. Exercise and stay active. The older you get, the harder it will be to lose those unwanted pounds.
11. Love freely. #thatisall
12. Not everyone loves he same and they may be loving you the best way they know how. This is a lesson I am still trying to learn, but it’s essential because not everyone grows up with the same kind of background and love lessons.
13. Patience is key. Seriously. To deal with #12. LOL and a ton of other life lessons.
14. Don’t be afraid to fail. And always get back up.
15. Release negative people from your life. It might seem harsh, but it’s so worth it.
16. Avoid drama like it’s the plague. Be allergic to the drama.
17. The answer will always be “No”, if you don’t ask. Closed mouths don’t get fed.
18. Do something you love. If you’re going to spend at least 8 hours a day working somewhere or for someone, you should at least like the work/company. If you don’t , then it’s time to make a change.
19. Treat everyone with respect whether it be the janitor, the doorman, the CEO or waiter.
20. Be authentic. People can see through the bullshit. And bullshit is never respected.
21. Think twice before your rant online about a person, place or service. Once you put it out there, it’s there forever.
22. The more you avoid your fears, the more power you allow them to have over your life.
23. Honesty is important, but tact is key.
24.Don’t look to someone else to complete you. Love yourself enough first.
25. If you get a tattoo, make it a good piece. You’ll be stuck with it forever. Also make sure it’s from a good artist. You’ll be stuck with it forever.
26. Learn to process emotions in a healthy way. Say no to emo-eating and shopping.
27. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Stay humble.
28. Comparison is a cruel thing and often a self-esteem depressor. Don’t define yourself with negatives/comparison. (FB is evil)
29. A great playlist + good friends + snacks + the open road = a great time/good road trip
30. Sometimes you just need to take a break. From life. From social media. From work…
31. Expectations can lead to disappointment. So don’t always set your expectations too high.
32. Don’t run away from responsibilities.
33. The words “budget” and “savings” are necessary and not so scary.
34. Never stop dreaming.
35. Step out of your comfort zone. Regularly. Yes, it’s scary, but no growth is ever found in a comfort zone.
36. Gratitude is the key to happiness.
So what life lessons have you learned? I’d love to hear about them.